A quick and easy lunch served with green salad. Or turn it into an evening meal with a platter of veggies and sweet potato wedges. Mackerel contains high levels of vitamins and minerals, Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids. The addition of seaweed boosts the flavour, reduces any need to add salt, and packs in even more nutrition.
Switch out the smoked mackerel for tinned tuna, salmon or sardines for a healthy, tasty and easy from the store cupboard.
INGREDIENTS (serves 4 as a starter or 2 as a main course)
- 2 smoked mackerel fillets, skin removed and mashed with a fork (store cupboard alternative: a tine of tuna/salmon/sardines/mackerel)
- 2 medium potatoes
- 1 tsp Seaspoon Seaweed Boost or 2 tsp Seaspoon Herb mix or Umami blend
- A squeeze of lemon juice (or Jiff lemon)
- Pepper to taste
- 1 egg, beaten
- Breadcrumbs (about two slices of bread) or plain flour
- Cook the potatoes until soft and mash. Leave to cool.
- Stir the mashed fish into the potatoes along with the seaweed, squeeze of lemon and pepper to taste.
- Using your hands, form the mixture into even-sized cakes (4 for main course or 8 smaller ones for a starter).
- Dip the cakes in beaten egg and dust in breadcrumbs or flour.
- Fry in olive oil for 10 mins, turning occasionally to keep them browing evenly.
- Serve with a green salad or veg and wedges.
You can shop for Seaspoon Seaweed Boost, and all our other blends and flavours, from our webshop: