Focaccia is a type of Italian flatbread, enriched with lots of good oil, making it decadent, moist and flavourful. We're tickled pink that Hannah Thomas, of Herbs & Wild, has created a stunning recipe using Seaspoon Seaweed (Boost or Herb Mix). We can all agree that seaweed's natural saltiness makes it the perfect addition to your focaccia toppings.
You can follow Hannah on Instagram @herbsandwild
For the dough:
- 100g active strong white starter
- 250g water, at hand warm temp (32-37degreesC)
- 330g strong white flour
- 6g fine sea salt
- 70g extra virgin rapeseed/olive oil
For the topping:
- Large pinch flaky sea salt, e.g. Maldon
- 10g Rosemary
- 4g Seaspoon Seaweed Boost or Seaweed Herb Mix
- 8g Rosemary needles
You can play around with toppings, which can make it a meal in itself! Olives, caramelised onions, bacon lardons, sage....whatever you fancy!
- In a large bowl combine the starter and water and mix gently. In another bowl, combine the flour and the salt.
- Add the flour mix to the first bowl and mix using one hand (keep it in a rigid claw shape) until the ingredients are combined. This won’t take long.
- Pour the oil over the dough and leave to stand for 20mins at room temp
- After 20 mins, give the dough a fold in the bowl, incorporating some of the oil as you do. Sliding your fingers underneath the dough, pull a section of the dough out to the side and fold it into the middle of the ball of dough. Repeat this, going around the dough until you get back to the beginning (4-5 folds). At this stage, you don’t need to worry about incorporating all the oil. Leave the dough to stand for another 20 mins, then repeat process 3 more times.
- After the 4th fold, leave it to rest for 1hour
- Turn the dough into a 20cm round cake tin/cast iron pan/rectangle roasting dish lined with parchment paper. Leave to stand at room temp for 2-3hours covered with a damp tea towel, until dough is looking lively and plenty of large bubbles are forming. Alternatively, you can prove it overnight in the fridge.
- Preheat oven to 200⁰C
- Top focaccia with your chosen topping, pressing it firmly into the dough with your fingertips. Sprinkle with Maldon and drizzle with a little more oil
- Bake until golden, then turn out onto a cooling rack to cool and drizzle with more oil while still warm.
Shop for Seaspoon Seaweed from our web shop today!