What could be more of a weekend treat than a cheese scone! We've added a little twist, that gives them a lift in the flavour department.
- 225g self raising flour
- 1 tsp Seaspoon Seaweed Herb Mix
- pinch salt
- 1tsp baking powder
- 55g butter (cold, cut into small pieces)
- 100g chedder cheese
- 80-90ml milk, plus extra for glazing
- extra cheese for topping the scones
- Preheat the oven to 220C/gas 7/fan 200C and lightly grease a baking sheet
- Mix the flour, salt, baking powder and Seaweed Herb Mix into a mixing bowl. Add the butter and crumb the mixture with your fingers.
- Stir in the grated cheese.
- Create a well in the middle and add most of the milk. Work the mixture to a soft dough. Add the extra milk if needed. Don’t overwork, or you will toughen the dough.
- Get a ball of dough and knead it on a lightly floured surface 3 or 4 times to get rid of the cracks.
- Pat the dough with your hands to about 2cm, then cut out the scones with your cutter. Don’t twist it! Gather the trimmings gently and repeat.
- Place on the baking tray and glaze with milk and grated cheese. Bake for 10-12 minutes until risen and golden. Cool on a wire rack, uncovered if you prefer crisp tops, or covered loosely with a cloth for soft ones.
Eat them as fresh as you can, and enjoy!