Leeks are a source of dietary fibre and vitamin C, making them a formidable veg to include in your festive spread.
Nutritionally boosted by seaweed, this tart, or flan, would make a lovely light dish for Boxing Day, alongside any leftover turkey.
INGREDIENTS (serves 6-8)
For the shortcrust pastry (or use one pack of readymade shortcrust pastry):
- 225g Plain flour
- 150g Butter
- 3-4 tablespoons Cold Water
For the filling:
- 2 leeks, thinly sliced
- 50g dried cranberries
- 50g walnut pieces
- 3 eggs
- 50ml milk
- 2 teaspoon Seaspoon Seaweed Herb Mix
- Grated cheddar
- Make (or open) your pastry and line a 30cm flan dish.
- Chill the pastry and then bake blind for 20 mins with greaseproof paper and baking beans.
- Sweat the leeks in a little oil until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Drain away any excess liquid from the softened leeks and spread them over the pastry base. Sprinkle the cranberries and walnuts on top.
- Mix the eggs, milk and Seaspoon Seaweed Herb Mix, pouring it over the leeks.
- Sprinkle with cheddar and cook for 25 to 30 mins.
- Serve with a green salad and crusty bread.
You can shop for Seaspoon Seaweed Herb Mix as well as all our other nutritious Seaweed blends, from our webshop: