This year has been pretty different, to say the least. So, we hope you'll join us in giving something back to our oceans through Blue Marine Foundation (BLUE).
The charitable aims of BLUE are very close to our hearts here at Seaspoon. They have a vision for a healthy ocean, forever, for everyone.
BLUE are committed to restoring the ocean to health by securing protected areas, tackling unsustainable fishing, restoring marine habitats and connecting people with the sea. With projects in Plymouth, North Devon and Lyme Bay (to name but a few) BLUE are making a difference on our very doorstep.
We'll be giving 10% of the value of the shopping made at Seaspoon.com with our Black Friday promotional code BLUE, to Blue Marine Foundation.*
Protecting marine life
Marine life is under threat from climate change, acidification, pollution, invasive species and plastic. But arguably, the greatest threat of all is overfishing because stripped of its life, the ocean is less resilient to the other threats and less able to perform its vital function of absorbing carbon dioxide and producing oxygen.
BLUE’s mission is to see at least 30% of the world’s ocean under effective protection by 2030 and the other 70% managed in a responsible way.
It's estimated that 94% of commercial fish stocks are fully or overexploited and 90% of large, predatory fish are gone.
BLUE’s key interventions:
- Securing marine protected areas to ensure the protection of at least 30% of the ocean by 2030.
- Developing models of sustainable fishing proving that low-impact fishing benefits marine life, local fishers and communities.
- Restoring marine habitats to revive and protect vulnerable and threatened species and to sequester carbon.
- Tackling unsustainable fishing by highlighting poor practice and developing solutions.
- Connecting people with the sea and enhancing ocean understanding across generations.
We will give 10% of the value of the shopping made at Seaspoon.com with our Black Friday 2020 promotional code BLUE, to Blue Marine Foundation.
Discover more about the works of this incredible charity, Blue Marine Foundation (BLUE) here >
Image: James Bowden for Blue Marine Foundation
* 10% off valid from 27/11/20 to 30/11/20 inclusive, minimum order value £10. Seaspoon will donate 10% of qualifying orders made with code BLUE to the Blue Marine Foundation. Offer not valid on Gift Club, Subscriptions or p&p. Details correct at time of print.